In SouthIndian families milagu adai is very popular nivedyam for Thirukarthigai or Karthigai Deepam. Apart from this milagu adai pori , neiappam or adirasam is also offered as naivedyam for thirukarthigai . Here is the recipie for karthigai Adai .
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Toovar dal -1/4 cup
- Channa dal - ¼ cup
- Urad dal - ¼ cup
- Pepper corns - 10 nos
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafetida - ¼ tsp
- Grated coconut - 4 to 5 tbsps
- Curry leaves - 1 cup
- Til oil - for making adai
- Wash and soak the rice and dal together for two to three hours.
- Wash again and grind coarsely adding pepper corns, cumin seeds, curry leaves, salt asafetida, grated coconut,and pepper powder.
- Add just enough water and mix well.
- Heat a tawa and pour one ladle of batter in the centre of the tawa and spread in a circular motion towards the edges of the tawa.
- Spread it slightly thicker than dosas.
- Pour two tsps of oil along the edges cook for two minutes and gently turn over the adai .
- Make a small hole in the centre of the adai and pour one more teaspoon of oil along the edges .
- Remove from tawa when it turns golden colour .
- Milagu adai is ready for nivedyam .
- Seve hot with butter or jackfruit jam (chakkavaratti ) or jiggery .