Neiappam is one of the important naivedyam for almost all auspicious occasions in Sout India.Karthigai is approaching and these neiappams are part of the offerings made on this day.
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Jiggery - ¾ cup
- Banana - 1 no
- Powdered cardamom - ½ tsp
- Coconut bits - 2 tbsps
- Dry ginger powder - ½ tsp
- Ghee or oil - to deep fry the appam
- Wash and soak the rice in water for half an hour .
- Drain the water add jiggery , banana and grind coarsely .
- Transfer this batter into a mixing bowl and add dry ginger powder, cardamom powder, and coconut bits.
- The consistency of the batter should neither be too watery nor too thick .
- Heat the appa karai and pour ghee or oil in each mould.
- When the oil is heated, keep the flame to the medium and pour one small ladle of batter into each mould.
- After one or two minutes using a sharp knife or a toothpick turn over to the other side.
- Fry it till it turns to golden brown colour on both sides .
- Take the appams from the mould and keep it over the colander to drain the excess oil.
- Yummy and sweet NeiAppams are ready.
- NOTE: If appam breaks in the oil add one to two teaspoons of wheat flour in the batter and try again .