Puttu is a south indian & srilankan breakfast dish of steamed cylinders of ground rice layered with coconut . It is highly popular in indian state of kerala as well as in many areas of srilanka , where it is also known as pittu.
Puttu is served with chickpea or banana.Puttu can also be steamed in coconut shell, which imparts Natural taste and smell to the puttu.
- Puttu powder – 2 cups
- Fresh & finely grated coconut - 2 & 1 / 2 cups
- For making puttu in the shell of the coconut take the shell with eye part , clean it , & make one hole in an eye .
- In the puttu powder add salt & sprinkle water little by little & mix well .( do not add too much water )
- After mixing the powder when you press a handful of powder & drop , it will become powder again .
- That ‘s the consistency .
- In the coconut shell add 1 to 2 tbsp of coconut & add puttu powder & top with some more coconut leaving one inch space above .
- Fix this filled shell over the pressure cooker with boiling water 9 the steam should enter through to cook the puttu )
- Steam for about 10 to 15 minutes .
- Remove the shell from the heat & keep the shell upside down & tap it gently.
- The puttu will be in the shape of coconut shell .