We always cook keerai/ amaranth leaves only as dals, fries.But I thought of cooking leaves along with rice, it came out very good and tasty. Amaranth leaves are very healthy for us and gives more nutrition.Kids will love this pulav.
- Boiled rice - 1 cup
- Onions (finely chopped) - 2 nos
- Garlic(finely chopped) - 4 cloves
- Finely chopped keerai( amaranth leaves / spinach) - 2 cups
- (Use any type of keerai like siru keerai, mulai keerai or pasalai keerai)
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder - 1 ½ tsps
- Coriander powder - 2 tsps
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - from one lime
- Salt - to taste
- Oil/ghee - 3 tbsps
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds -
- Heat oil / ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds , when it splutters add the chopped onions and chopped garlic.
- Fry them in a medium flame for two minutes or till onions are half cooked.
- Add washed and chopped keerai/ amaranth leaves and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add turmeric powder,chilli powder, garam masala powder, Coriander powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the boiled rice and cook till the rice gets heated in a high flame.
- Add lime juice mix gently and remove from fire.
- Keerai pulav is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with any raitha.
- You can use either a single variety of keerai or can use spinach amaranth together for this rice.
- Can also add fried and coarsely ground peanuts.Tastes heavenly.
- Freshly grated coconut can also be added.
- Season it with bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon.
- Can also add carrots, cauliflower, potatoes etc.