This Diwali is special for all of us because this is my 100th recipe. I thank all who have been supporting me through out! Let this Diwali bring happiness and prosperity to all of us.Try out this special malpua recipe for this special Diwali.
Malpua is popular in almost all Indian state such as Uttar Pradesh , Rajasthan ,West Bengal, Gujarat, Bihar,Maharashtra and orissa .In Orissa this is served as Prasad to Lord jagannath.This Malpuas also famous in Nepal Tarai region, they prepare during the celebration of colourful festival Holi .
Malpua is a traditional sweet which is served as a dessert and snack .malpuas are mostly made in the festival season and are considered to be sacred .The upper surface of the sweet is crisp while they are mushy and rich inside .
This is basically a sugar syrup soaked pancake prepared from a batter of maida, milk and cardamom .these are usually fried in ghee till crisp along the edges soaked in sugar syrup .
This recipe was published in SRUTHIVANI magazine, published by Kerala Brhamana Sabha Thrissur unit.
- Milk- 1litre
- Maida- ½ cup
- Sugar- ¾ cup
- Water – 2/3 cup
- Ghee – For deep frying
- Cashewnuts & Almonds – 2 tblsp
1. Boil milk in heavy vessel till it is reduced to half of its volume
2. Remove from fire and allow to cool down to room temperature
3. Mix maida with this without forming lumps and prepare thick batter of pouring consistency
4. Heat ghee in a small kadai upto 1 inch depth
5. Take a small ladle full of dough and pour in hot ghee to form a small pan cake
6. Turn over and cook for a while and remove form fire
7. Heat sugar and water together to form a thick and sticky syrup (like jamoon syrup)
8. As and when malpuas are depp fried, dip in it warm sugar syrup and arrange on a flat plate sideby side
9. Sprinkle fried nuts on top