olan is a Kerala dish made with coconut milk and pumpkin as the main ingredients. Olan is one of those dishes in a Kerala sadya..This can be served as a side dish for rice, sambhar, rasam, etc. Mostly olan is prepared using vanpayar, but in this recipe I didn’t use vanpayar instead, I’ve prepared only with pumpkin. Usually coconut milk is added at the final stage of cooking, after cooking the pumpkin in water, but here I have cooked the pumpkin by using third extract of coconut milk instead of water. This tastes delicious than cooked with water (For those who don’t like coconut milk, they can try without adding coconut milk).
- White pumpkin - 400 grams
- Green chillies -6 nos (slitted)
- Curry leaves -2 sprigs
- Coconut oil - 3 tbsps
- Coconut milk -
2 cups ( 3 extracts)
- Wash the pumpkin, peel the skin, remove the seeds.
- Cut it into thin rectangular pieces.
- Add the third extract of coconut milk to the pumpkin and add salt, curry leaves, & slitted green chillies.
- Add the second extract of coconut milk when the pumpkin is half done.
- Boil till the pumpkins are well cooked.
- Now add the first extract of coconut milk and add two tablespoons of coconut oil and mix well.
- Remove from heat before it starts boiling.
- Finally add some more fresh curry leaves.
- Olan is ready to serve.