Idli is the most popular breakfast in South India.It is also a easily digestible food. Generally we make upuma from aval or rice flakes, but idly made out of aval, sounds different. Instead of regular idly try out this aval idly.
- Raw rice - 2cups (heaped)
- Rice flakes (aval) -1 cup
- Sour thick curd - 1 cup
- Grated fresh coconut - ¾ cup
- Green chillies - 6 nos
- Bengal gram dhal -1 tbsp
- Black pepper -2 tsps
- Cumin seeds -2 tsps
- Ginger - 2 tsps(finely chopped)
- Asafetida -2 to 3 pinches
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 6 tbsps
- Cooking soda -1/4 tsp(optional)
- Soak rice in water for three hours.
- Soak rice flakes separately in sour curd for two hours.
- Grind both rice and rice flakes together with coconut and green chillies to coarse rawa consistency.
- Add salt at the end of grinding.
- Add pepper, cumin seeds, bengalgram dal on the batter .
- Allow to ferment for fifteen hours.
- At the time of making idlis add finely chopped ginger asafetida and add hot oil in the batter.(if you are adding cooking soda add at this stage.)
- Mix till everything is incorporated well.
- Steam the idlis for 10 minutes or till cooked.
- Rice flakes or aval idli is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with chutney, sambar or idli podi.