Puzukku is a typical dish of kerala and it is very simple and tasty dish. Keralites usually love the combination of rice porridge (kanji) with various types of puzukku. Different types of puzukku are made like muthira puzukku (horse gram),chakka puzhukku (tender jackfruit) etc. Here I have given the recipie of yam and raw banana with cow gram puzukku. Vanpayar can reduce the cholestrol in your body significantly. The antioxidants present in the cow peas can reduce the chance for having cancerous cell growth. Diabetics and weight can be controlled effectively by this van payaru puzukku.
- Cowpeas (Blackeyed pea) -2 cups
- Yam - 1 cup(remove the skin and cut into cubes)
- Raw banana - 2 nos (remove the skin and cut into cubes)
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Red chillies - 3 nos
- Jiggery - 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsps
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Small onions - 4 nos
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut gratings - 1 cup
- Green chillies - 5 nos
- Curry leaves - few
- (crush grated coconut, curry leaves and green chillies together.)
- Pressure cook cow gram, chopped yam and banana pieces with crushed small onions, few curry leaves, red chillies and turmeric powder. Cook till tender.
- Add salt and jiggery and boil for two minutes.
- Add crushed coconut gratings and mix well.
- When gravy becomes thick, add coconut oil and immediately remove from heat.
- Serve as a side dish for sambar, rasam etc.