Puliyogare or Puliyodharai or tamarind rice is a South Indian rice preparation typically eaten as a , as snack part of most south Indian festival luncheons and dinners, and as prasadam in temples. Tamarind rice is a popular dish of South Indian Tamil Brahmin recipe. This recipe is also a navarathry nivedyam!
TO MAKE PULIOGRE POWDER
- Pepper - ½ cup
- Cumin seeds - ½ cup
- Methi seeds ( fenugreek ) - ¼ cup
- Coriander seeds - ¼ cup
- Channa dal - ½ cup
- Red chillies -1 cup
- Curry leaves - ½ cup
- Grated copra - ½ cup ( approx )
- Fry each of the above ingredients .( except copra )
- Allow to cool & then powder . Store in adry air-tight container.
- TO MAKE PULIOGRE : Good quality rice – ½ cup
- Tamarind - big lemon size
- Salt - to taste
- Turmericpowder - ½ tsp
- Roasted & peeled groundnuts - ½ cup
- Til oil - ¼ cup
- FOR SEASONING :
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Channa dal - 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida - ½ tsp
- Red chillies - 6 nos (round variety preferable )
- Extract thick pulp from tamarind .
- Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a frying pan & add mustard seeds .
- When it crackles , add red chillies , asafetida, channa dal ,& curry leaves
- Add the extracted tamarind pulp , salt , turmeric powder & boil till it is thickened & oil starts oozing out .
- Cook rice firmly , allow to cool , mix 2 tbsp of oil & little salt .
- Mix with required amount of tamarind gravy & add 3 to 4 tbsps of puliogre powder .
- Add the roasted groundnuts & mix well .
- Serve with fried papads .