Gongoora pickle is one of the popular pickle in and around Guntur .Red sorrel leaves are called as gongoora, pulicha keerai in tamil, and pitwaa in Hindi. These leaves taste sour. It also increases appetite since it is high in vitamin C. These leaves hold a special place in Andhra especially in Guntur region.
- Gongoora - 2 kg
- Red chillies - ½ kg
- Tamarind - ½ kg
- Salt - 1 kilogram
- Til oil - ¼ cup
- Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Urad dal -1 teaspoon
- Wash and remove the stick from the gongoora.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry gongoora leaves .
- Mix half the quantity of the salt , mix well and keep in a glass jar.
- Keep for 4 days .
- Grind the gongoora leaves adding tamarind , salt and chilli powder .
- Blend well and preserve in a glass jar .
- Whenever necessary take 4 ladles of gongoora pickle and season it with mustard seeds , and urad dal .
- Best combination with hot ghee rice , curd rice , etc .