Try this traditional rice kozhakkattai which is a popular breakfast or dinner menu in most of the south Indian families. It is very tasty and nutritious too. This is the combination of broken rice and dhal . Try this out .
- Good quality rice - 1 cup
- Toovar dal - ½ cup
- One ripe fresh coconut - 3 cup approx grated finely
- Green chillies - 6 nos
- Asafetida - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Red chilly -2 nos broken
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Wash rice well, drain the water completely and spread over a cloth.
- Wash and soak toovar dal for half an hour.
- Drain the water, spread over a cloth and powder into rava.
- Grind quarter part of the coconut with green chillies, and asafetida.
- Heat oil in a frying pan season with mustard seeds, urad dal and a pinch of asafetida and curry leaves.
- Add the ground coconut paste and four cups of water.
- Add salt and allow it to boil.
- When it starts boiling add the coarsely powdered rice dal rawa mixture.
- Stir continuously from the bottom , adding the remaining finely grated coconut.
- When all the water is absorbed cook for few more minutes at a lower flame .
- Remove from fire and allow it to cool for sometime .
- Make oval sized balls and steam for fifteen minutes .
- Serve hot with sambar or chutney .